Garbage Streets and Recycling
The City of Sherwood Provides weekly garbage pickup. The 96-gallon cart is provided by the city.
- By Ordinance 1835, garbage must be placed in plastic bags and sealed.
- Cart should be placed 2 feet from the street with the handle facing the house.
- Carts should be at least 3 feet from any obstructions.
- Carts should be at the curb the night before or by 6:00 a.m. your scheduled day and retrieved by 8:00 a.m. the following day.
- Automated truck will only pick up what is inside the can.
The following items DO NOT go in the cart:
- Yard waste, such as grass clippings, leaves or tree trimmings.
- Lumber, shingles, rocks, dirt, tile, marble, granite, batteries and old tires.
- DO NOT place hot coals from your barbecue grill in the cart. It could melt or catch on fire.
YARD WASTE AND BULKY ITEMS:
Items that are too big to place in the cart will be picked up weekly the day after your household garbage.
Curbside items must be separated into three piles as follows:
- Bagged leaves, bagged grass, brush and wood. Limbs must be no longer than 8 feet long or 8 feet in diameter. No stumps or logs. No remodeling materials.
- Couches, mattresses, other furniture and bulky items.
- Appliances only. Anything with Freon must be tagged as Freon free before the city can pick it up.
These items will continue to be picked up the day after your household garbage. If the items are not separated as listed above, they will not be collected.
LARGE TREE REMOVAL DONE BY A TREE SERVICE MUST BE HAULED AWAY BY THE TREE SERVICE. THIS INCLUDES LIMBS, TRUNKS, LOGS OR STUMPS.
LEAVES THAT ARE RAKED TO THE CURB FOR PICK UP BETWEEN NOVEMBER 1STAND JANUARY 31ST CANNOT BE PLACED IN THE GUTTERS OR THE STREET. IF LEAVES ARE PLACED IN THE GUTTER OR THE STREET, A CITATION CAN BE ISSUED BY THE CITY OF SHERWOOD.
We do not recycle wet paint. To be acceptable for the landfill, paint must be completely solidified. Paint leaking into trucks and onto roadways poses a tremendous cleanup challenge. Suggestions for drying:
- Leave the lid off the can and set it out to dry
- Add kitty litter to absorb the wet paint
- You can purchase a product that will shorten the drying process
Once the paint is hardened or dried, the cans may be placed in a bag and thrown into the regular garbage can.
STREET / DRAINAGE
The City of Sherwood’s Public Works Department maintains our city street, repairs potholes, maintains street signs and keeps the drainage ditches clear of debris to ensure against flooding or water backup onto residential property.
The Public Works Department sprays for mosquitoes weekly, weather permitting, during peak seasons. Standing water is treated with larvicide to reduce the number of mosquitoes that can hatch.
The City offers free compost to our residents. The residents can come to the Public Works Department and get compost for their yards and gardens. Please be prepared to load the compost, the city cannot load it.
For information regarding any of our Public Works Department services, you may call the office at 501-835-3288 between normal business hours, Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.